As I understand the scenario, I assume I have lost all essential equipment (otherwise I'd just replinish from BOB), but I have supplies (food & drink). I further assume I'm in a state that does not charge sales tax (Chris forgot to mention it. HaHaHa!). The $50 limitation is severe. Here goes:<br><br>Kitchen utility knife, $5<br>Scripto disposible lighters, $1<br>Tarp, $10<br>Bottles of water, $3<br>Compass, $10<br>Leaf bags, $3<br>P-38, $1<br>Duct tape, $2<br>50' light rope, $3<br>Aluminum foil, HD, $4<br>Flashlight & batteries, $3<br>Mirror, $2<br>Chlorine bleach, $1<br>Whistle, $2<br><br>And that's all you get for $50, assuming very frugal shopping.<br><br><br>OTH, if my wife came along & pooled her $50, & allowed a few $ on the credit card, then: <br>Add SAK = +$20<br>Add hatchet, +$20<br>Add sharpener, + $5<br>Add petrolium jelly, +$2 <br>Add cotton balls, $2<br>Add pots, +$10<br>Add daypack, +$10<br>Delete P-38, -$1 (SAK has can opener)<br>Add blankets, +$20 (go to nearby thrift / military surplus shop)<br>Add matches, +$1<br>Add magnesium & flint, +$5<br>Add 2nd tarp, +$10<br><br>All that costs only $104 more (for a total of $154) & substantially improves camping / survival capabilities. <br><br>In the longer term kit, include:<br>Pliers, +$5<br>Saw, +$6<br>File, +$5<br>Wire, +$4<br>Fishing kit, assorted, $10<br>First aid kit, assorted, +$10<br>Food utensils & servers , +$20<br><br><br>Now, if only we can put in the next few years' budgets a visit to the used gun shop. Desiderata include:<br>Police superseded .357 Mag. revolver, $250<br>Military surplus 8 mm. Turkish rifle, $50<br>Used .22 rifle, $50<br>Used Rem. 870 Express 12 ga., Remchokes, rifled slug bbl., $250<br>Ammo & cleaning kit, $75<br><br>With all that (@ only $889), I might just take up permanent residence in the great wilderness. ;-)) <br><br>(It's hard to stop when you're on a roll.)<br><br>John<br><br><br>P.S. Go to " Plainsman's Cabin Forums" & search for "$100 Survival kit exercise" for a similar fun scenario.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>