I was mainly wondering if there is a difference of insulating qualities and toughness of the two. I have two LAND/Sharks in my BOB. They seem to be aimed mainly at water-based emergencies, the package stating "In water with life vest on, open Survival Bag allow Bag to fill with water and climb in." It also says they will burn if ignited (though I suppose all plastics will burn 'if ignited'). They have a drawstring closure and a clip to hook to others in the group to keep them from floating away from each other. They come sealed in a 'metalized' plastic package that must be torn open to use while the Thermo-Lite comes in a drawstring bag. That, to my mind, would make the Thermo-Lite more 'reusable'. Also, the Thermo-Lite comes in both a single and a double size. I've been thinking of putting a double-sized one in my BOB so if I'm with someone they can share it and if I'm by myself I can fold it in half and double the amount of insulation underneath me. Although I can't see myself floating around a large body of water any time soon, I can see myself spending an unexpected night out in the sticks (I live in east PA). I bought these thinking I could build a debris hut around them and ride out a storm in a little more comfort. (The sealed package of the LAND/Shark measures about 8x6.5x1.5".)