It looks like the new TSA rules slated to begin on Dec.22nd will allow tools (with limitations). Screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers will be allowed (with size limitations).

I'm thinking about picking up an inexpensive multi-tool and making it "TSA friendly" (remove any saw blade or knife blade) and using it as test fodder for carry-on. I haven't decided whether to grind the edge off the blade and round the tip (ala the permitted butter knife), or just cut the knife off and be done with it. If the tool has scissors, a bit of work with a dremel tool could round the tips for legal carry.

Looks like I need to hit a dollar store or some discount joint to pick up a tool that wouldn't bring tears to my eyes if confiscated.

I plan to toss the tool right into the change dish with my keys. I want the tool to be clearly seen (not hiding in carry-on baggage) so the reactions of the TSA are clear. Granted this is just anecdotal for the airport selected and the screener on shift, but it's a start.

Not sure when my next flight will be so I may not be a timely test case. If any frequent flyers choose to take up the cause you could report back here to the group on your success or lack thereof.

Packing a multi-tool on a flight is an excellent pacifier till they come to their senses and allow passengers to carry pocket knives again.

TR (flying naked)