I haven't had the extensive experience that some (Tom Ayers) have probably had with MREs, but I would say theyare not bad. I have consumed them as fire rations, etc. while working with the NPS over the last several years. Some items are quite tasty, especially when you have been out in the woods for a while, working hard, and you need to eat quickly and get back to it.<br><br>On the other hand, they are not all that critical. They are not as light as many back packing staples that can be obtained from the grocery store. They are more expensive than canned goods that are my mainstay for survival in place.<br><br>They are fine for some situations, particularly where ease of preparation is paramount and weight is not critical. I do have a few that are stored in my stash.<br><br>The thing on which to concentrate is the entrees. Many of the secondary items can be dispensed with - particularly the crackers, which are singularly tasteless - they seem to be unchanged from the earlier C-rations, dating backto WWII. The disparaging stories are mianly due to the ability of the troops to [censored] about anything, but I would recommend buying samples and trying out a few before purchasing in quantity.