Let me chime in and say that I love my F6. I carry it everywhere. The things that I love the most are:

1) Built-in bar antenna. The bar is tiny, but it helps a LOT when listening to AM broadcast. Yaesu does not have this.

2) Dual receive. You can listen to two repeaters at the same time, or one repeater and one broadcast. This is VERY handy, and Icom does not have this.

Of course, I look ath the Yaesu models which are waterproof, and think that this is a very cool feature if you are going to be out on a boat.

Another thing is that the programming software for the F6 is available free over the web. Then, all that you need is an interface that converts RS-232 levels to 5V TTL levels. I had most of the parts for such an interface lying around. So it cost me about $5 to get my HT hooked up to my computer. Yaesul will charge you at least $35 for this honor.

My only complaints:
1) the rubber "port covers" over the mic/charging jacks is starting to wear out. But I have had this HT for 2-1/2 years.
2) Stock antenna is not very impressive. But you can fix this for less than $50.
3) The "joystick" is close to useless for me. I never use it. When setting menu options, I use the tuning knob. The stick could have been replaced by one or two buttons, leaving more room for a bigger speaker.
4) You can have one frequency set for CTCSS transmit only, and another for CTCSS transmit/receive. So, you can set the CTCSS frequency, and switch CTCSS modes, and you frequency has changed, and nothing works. This is one of those "what were they thinking" issues, but once you know about it, it is easy to fix.
5) Shortwave receive is a little noisey. Even with a S9+ signal, you will still hear some noise in the background
6) SSB filters are VERY wide. Actually, it is more like a double-side-band receive. The sound is essentially the same whether you are in USB or LSB mode. Of course, getting SSB at all in a unit this size that does this much is amazing, so I do not fault the unit too much for this. However, using SSB on a contest day is, of course, out of the question, as you will get QSOs on the "other" side band, complete with spectral-inversion garbling goodness. For listening to the occasional QSO (with the right antenna of course), it should be OK as long as the "other" side band is clear and quiet.
7) I wish that the battery meter was displayed all the time, and that the resolution of the batter meter was a little better. Not a big deal, though. Most HTs do not do this.
8) It should have television audio frequencies pre-programmed in (and marine channels would be nice too). But since you have a LOT of memories to play with in this thing, an hour of sweat can overcome this problem.

So, all in all, not a perfect radio, but I love mine a lot. I am glad that I got mine, and I would buy another one if this one died.