I have a large selection of kits to meet my varied needs.

In the city, I pack light. No fishing kit, no fire making gear, etc. Bare minimum. I carry enough to get me to my car. Both cars have well stocked kits geared for an urban/suburban environment. Enough for me to make it home. My home kit is substantial.

My kits are designed based on layering. One kit gets me to the next. Very little on myself (ETS blasphemy), more in the cars, and a bunch at home.

When camping, I have a special kit for my LandCruiser that is well stocked for almost any possibility. For short day hikes with no possibility of getting lost, I make sure I have a FAK, proper dress, water, and a snack.

I dislike big crowds, but when at an amusement park or other public outing I carry a small daypack or a small over the shoulder “urban possibles bag”.

A subtle part of my kit is my dress. I do the Eddie Bauer/Columbia River look. I look like every other middle aged fart walking the streets here in the Pacific Northwest. I try not to draw a lot of attention to myself. (Offensive T-shirts or the urban commando look is right out).

Thankfully, I don’t air travel much anymore. But I am currently putting together a kit just for air travel. Trying to keep it light weight and simple, without having a vehicle or home kit anywhere nearby. The other problem is what to carry on and what to check. Arguably this may be my most challenging kit with the travel limitations and the distance from other backup kits.

I think I’ll post a thread on this and see what comes up.

Good luck, TR