Alright, now see what y'all done and made me do. Since I am in no position to be making a batch, I figured I may as well share in my suffering and press on with my contentions. So here's a pretty good link about Pemmican:

http://www.calverley.ca/Part01-FirstNations/01-047.html

I guess what it boils down to is, if you are in Laz-y-Boy mode, then Pemmican is not only a lot less enticing, but actually a little hazardous to your health. If you are in survival mode, then this may be the ticket. Maybe them Coast Guard survival bars got Pemmican beat, but I like the idea of being able to make survival provisions at will at home, for next to nothing in cost, and to whatever suits my taste for variety. In this day and age, where pre-packaged foods ready for the microwave are a lot more commonplace than suits my comfort level, I really like the idea of spending a little time putting together goods that I know will get the job done. Kinda makes me feel like I'm a little more prepared for what the world has to throw at me.

Of course, Pemmican ain't the only thing I produce. Biffy bars (a combination of peanut butter, dates, honey and sesame seeds) are also something that does well, though it isn't quite the juggernaut that Pemmican is. Regular ole jerky is pretty good, too, especially if I get a deer in the fall.

The point is, just spending money of survival supplies ain't the end all, be all for being equipped to survive. Taking the time to do such things as make up Pemmican or other home-made stuff stimulates the mind to consider preparation for adversity. That in itself makes Pemmican a worthwhile commodity, at least in my way of thinking.