There really are no standards for BOBs. Some say it should be a 7 day kit, some say it's synonymous with a 72 hour kit, still others consider it to be even less. What you have to consider with a BOB is what is it going to take to get you out of a perilous situation to an acceptably safe and secure one where aid/supplies are more readily available. In Baghdad, I had to think about what I would need to take if I had to haul a$$ to one of the outlying Bases. The food in my BOB then consisted of 4 hoo-ah bars. The priority was the 3 liters of water in my hydro pak, plus another couple bottles of water if I could grab them on the way out. By all counts, we figured if we didn't make it to safety in two days on our own, we'd probably be done for anyways. In fact, we pretty much all agreed that if the bubble went up and we didn't get evac'd out by our boys within an hour or so, we were pretty much dead men walking at that point anyways, and all the food and water would do is prolong the agony of the waiting.

Now back here in the real world, it's all about how much Pemmican I want to tote around with me.