QUOTE: "all the stuff comes up... About 90% of my cardiac arrests are messy."

This is the dirty little secret about CPR. I have had an interest in first-aid since being a Boy Scout. I was fortunate enough to have some "reality" discussions with a few Paramedics many years ago. Back in those days the pocket shields didn't exist to my knowledge. They said plan on getting a mouth full of vomit. They said this was especially common when the person goes “brain dead”. Later I have heard this was due to air in the stomach.

I have taken numerous CPR courses over the years and not a single time has this problem been mentioned. My wife also has taken many CPR courses with the same failure to prepare a student for a real CPR situation.

My guess is they don't want to discourage trained bystanders from helping with CPR situations. If I hadn't been warned about this vomiting issue I may have freaked out or panicked if it had surprised me during a resuscitation. I’ll take honesty over deception anytime. I feel leaving out critical information like this is doing a great disservice to the CPR student.

I appreciate Polak187’s frank discussion about this topic.

This brings up additional questions needing an experienced “hands-on” user to reply:

I am sure the pocket shields are better than nothing, but how effective are they “really” at preventing contamination of the CPR responder?

Are there any brands or models that should be avoided?

Are there any brands or models that are recommended?

Is it also common for CPR patients that have gone “brain dead” to relieve other bodily functions? (I thought I had better keep it clean for any other breakfast eaters).

Sometimes I feel that Polak187 is a bit jaded, but I respect his no holds barred candor on sensitive subjects like this.

Thank you, TR

(Going compression only for the near future).