Usually, but not always, the last thing I grabbed on the way out the door to the bunker was my shoulder bag. I wouldn't don it, mind you, as I was too busy throwing all that body armor on to get it over my head and left shoulder like I normally carry it (and how it was designed to be carried).

There were a couple times that it got left behind, but then again, there were times when I had to leave the body armor behind as well and just run like hekk with whatever I already had on me.

One thing about it, with that messenger bag properly donned, I could run full tilt bozo and not worry about it dumping, or coming loose, or fouling me up. I can't say the same for some of the day packs I've used in the past, or for my current BOB. Wearing that bag Hudson's Bay style as I do, it is about the most unencumbering way I can think to carry all my EDC gear.

Speaking of Hudson's Bay style, I always liked how the old company trappers used to roll all their gear up in their blanket, tie the ends off with a closed loop of rope or thonging, and strap it across their back and chest. That sure seemed a lot more practical than a shoulder bag.