Too late for me, I’m pretty much outed.

I am the “go to” guy if you need a tool or something fixed. I helped set up the neighborhood block watch (neighbors have called me when things go bump in the night. “Why are you calling me? Call 911). I tried to organize a neighborhood emergency response team (NERT?) (Our county was promoting this years ago). I used Y2K as a reason to encourage my neighbors and family to get prepared. The outcome of Y2K was irrelevant. If not Y2K, then it will be an earthquake, if not an earthquake it will be a volcano, etc. I have given firearms training to several of my neighbors. The UPS man knew what was up when I had a large shipment of long term storage food delivered (nitrogen packed grains) to my house. I am a Boy Scout leader (Be Prepared). I’ve lived here over 20 years; everybody knows me and knows who and what I am. Low Profile is no longer an option. When the jig is up there will be lines at my door. Now, how to best handle it?

I have decided my best option is to work out arrangements that are mutually favorable. I have some medical problems, so heavy labor is out. I can trade food stuffs for work. I may take a hat and draw names allowing one neighbor a night to join us for dinner. Maybe I’ll allow the children in our neighborhood to eat breakfast (oatmeal) with us. If I completely close my doors to my neighbors my options are limited and I may have a mob on my hands. If I give away the farm, the food won’t last long and won’t serve its intended purpose of feeding my family. If I carefully share and barter, my options are open and I buy a lot of goodwill with those that may turn against me. I would really hope that the whole experience could be positive and set an example for our neighborhood to continue as a close knit group. If this is naïve, then I fall back on superior firepower.

There was a time I was young, optimistic, pro-active, “make the world a better place”, “don’t give them a fish, teach them how to fish so they can feed themselves” kinda guy.

I’m now a bit older, maybe wiser, more cynical, less naïve. I pick and chose my battles. My charity is no longer unconditional, it goes only to those that are deserving (forgive me Gandhi and Mother Theresa). If I had it to do over I’d probably keep a lower profile to keep more options open. If I ever move to a new neighborhood I’ll go into “urban stealth” mode. Hide your cards, then play what it takes to win. If my neighbors come to my door needing help, I’ll hand out “Call 911 for Emergencies” stickers to them.

TR

(Note to self: Pick up some “Call 911 for Emergencies” stickers.