I used the DOAN for a lone time and over time found this technique to work really well on damp wood, or any wood. Naturally, I would prepare a shaved bundle of the driest tinder I could find first, then I would use a dry cotton ball, shave some magnesium into the ball and use the strker to ignite the magnesium which in turn would instantly ignite the cotton ball. Which I then used to ignite a piece of wax paper, wadded into a ball and that usually will burn hot and long. I never had any trouble lighting a stubborn fire with the wax paper.
The story behind that technique, is that a friend and I decided to go up to the rim, to the forest and campout and brush up on our survival skills. We left the vehicle a ways off and set up a tarp shelter in a small meadow. It had been raining off and on all week and was drizzling while we were there most of the weekend. We hiked around some and just studied the area before returning to our tarp shellter. When dinnertime arrived, we planned to cook without a stove (left it in the car) and proceeded to gather materials. We had each brought all the magic "firestarters" and miracle "tinders" that we had gathered over the years. We had some of the old Tinder Dry, Trioxaine tablets, compressed wood shavings bonded in some miracle chemical and of course the original metal match, a DOAN, commercial type and matches which had been wax impregnated. Lucky for us, we had a BIC as well.
We tried each product on the damp wood, most would not light themselves, let alone ignite the natural tinder! We tried everything! The matches from my Boy Scout safe which had been coated in wax, would not light at all. The strikers would make sparks but nothing we had would ignite. All the commercial products which were supposed to be magical survival firestarters would not light, even with the BIC! They had dried out, or lost their chemical properties, or perhaps never worked to begin with. Even after we finally got a good fire going, some of the products would not even burn!
Anyway, I had brought a large bag of Starburst candies with me and we had both been eating them all day, each had a little waxed paper wrapper which went into our pockets. After looking for some pocket lint to try to ignite with the metal match, we piled up the wrappers on the ground. Well, after exhausting all means to start that fire, with no success, I took a Starburst wrapper, one mind you, lit it with the BIC and it burned really well! So, I took 3 or 4 of the wrappers and balled them together and lit that, put in into our semi-damp tinder and within a few minutes we had a nice fire to cook on! We were getting hungry by then.
So, after that trip I came home and tired various techniques and products until I found something reliable, that will not deteriorate over time in storage and will light a fire in dire conditions. Worked ever since. So in my kit I carry a 35mm film canister with about 5 dry cotton balls and 5 balls of plain old wax paper. The wax paper balls are made from a 6" x 12" piece wadded up and crammed into the cansiter, alternating with a cotton ball. I can ignite the cotton balls with a DOAN, Hot Spark, Metal Match or Firesteel, or MagFire (if I had one). I can then ignite the wax paper ball and I am on my way to a warm fire. I do unball the wax paper a bit to make it easier to ignite and to cover more area in the tinder bundle.
I also keep a roll of wax paper in my 4WD emergency kit along with some cotton balls and a spark source.