I recently received two MagFire ferrocerium rods for test and review from Martin Focazio of MagFire USA...

MagFire products are made and marketed by ProGear, Finland. The test model is their standard version, listed as capable of delivering 3,000 strikes. Overall length is approximately 3.25", with a 1/4" x 1 7/8" sparking rod. There is also a Pro model available, listed as capable of delivering 12,000 strikes.

Opening the package when they arrived, I was immediately impressed by the quality. The MagFire ferrocerium rod, which they refer to as a "magnesium firestarter", is firmly seated in a beautifully moulded bright red polymer handle. Attached via a piece of black nylon lanyard material is a striker, similar to the old style striker from another major European manufacturer.
Fit and finish spoke quality, so it added to the excitement to get a test underway. Enlisting both SBRaider and my very own Care as photographers, it was time to let the games begin.

First test was sparking ability with different strikers:

Fallkniven U2 Spine Performance:

Vic SAK Pioneer Awl Performance:

Other really notable performers included the spine of my AL Mar S2K, the spine of my Vic SAK Farmer's saw blade and the spine of a Craftsman jigsaw blade. I'm sad to say that while the issued striker produced a spark, the sparks were significantly less than depicted above. If purchasing a MagFire, or any other ferro rod for PSK or BOB use, I'd really recommend ditching the issued striker for a piece of broken hacksaw blade or other saw blade.

MagFire claims a unique blend of metals to include magnesium in the manufacture of their sparking rod. I noted that the MagFire sparking rod seems significantly harder than most ferro rods I currently own. The outer coating was definitely harder to strike and the performance improved as the coating was scraped away. I also noted that, in comparing the MagFire to several other manufacturer's products under a strong magnifying glass, the MagFire sparking rod appears less porous. Being less porous should provide more sparking material as well as a higher level of corrosion resistance. Construction aside, when properly struck the MagFires throw a huge shower of 5,500 degree sparks...

On birchbark -

Admittedly, my birch bark was a little moist and it took some work to get it going - but it took quickly when dry and broken down properly.

On fatwood shavings -

Fatwood shavings took a spark rapidly and burned long and hot.

On a vaseline impregnated cotton ball -

The vaseline impregnated cotton ball took off almost explosively when subjected to the sparks.
Here's a shot of what I mean - spark with simultaneous ignition -

Needless to say, I'm sufficiently impressed by MagFire products. I've been EDC'ing the test models and I've already ordered a Pro model.
To protect the sparking rod for EDC, I slipped the rod into a piece of 1/4" inside diameter x 3/8" outside diameter vinyl tubing from the hardware. Doing so not only provides protection for the rod, but it also allows me to insert the rod into ferro rod holders on some of my BRKT sheaths and into kydex ferro rod loops made by On/Scene Tactical and Allan Blade...

The MagFire currently costs around $14 USD plus an extremely reasonable shipping rate, while the Pro model costs $20 USD plus an extremely reasonable shipping rate. Magfire's and more info on MagFire's is available here: http://www.magfireusa.com/index.html

I highly recommend MagFire products and MagFire USA...

M