>>I bought a Coleman two-mantle lantern, intending it to be used at home in case the utilities go out. Nice product, only useless for anything indoors<<<br><br>FWIW, Aladdin kerosene lamps can still be had, both old and new. They're not pressurized, they're silent, they're much safer than white gas, and they use a combination of a tubular wick and a mantle to produce as much light as a 60-watt bulb. Not as bright as a Coleman lantern, but bright enough- you really need a lamp shade to use them with comfort. They've been used indoors for more than 90 years now, and I have no problem trusting them even though I would never use any pressurized lantern or stove indoors. If the power fails in cold weather, it's worth noting that each lamp puts out about a fourth as much heat as a kerosene space heater- in fact, they used to use the same basic mechanism in old heaters. <br><br>I have both new models and older ones (1930's) that I've bought cheap, cleaned up and rebuilt- they're not complicated, and lots of parts are available. <br><br>They make an excellent standby for power outages- the steady, silent, bright light is very nice even for reading at night. There are also screw-in electric bulb adapters that reversibly replace the burner, so you can use it as an modern electric lamp (empty, please), then quickly and easily convert it back to kerosene when and if needed. There are a huge variety of older models (and collector prices), but most, old and new, look very Victorian and traditional, which aids with the spousal-acceptance factor.<br><br>Unfortunately, they aren't portable. Because of design limitations, there's never been an Aladdin-type lantern (as opposed to lamp)... and your standard cold-blast kerosene lantern is nowhere near as bright (believe me, I know). But then, it sounds like you already have outdoor use covered. <br><br>