I can understand your thinking on the idea of getting a receipt, but my perspective is that if things are bad enough that the local establishment is looking for things to take, then I am not sure I can trust their judgement that they won't decide to take something I might need. The implication is that during a time of crisis, they would even care what my rights to survival might be. They may decide summarily that, because I didn't voluntarily share when I had the chance, or because I disagree with them about what I can and cannot live without, they will simply take it all. I am sorry, I cannot take the chance that some well intentioned but biased LEO will decide in my favor. They can ask, but they cannot demand.

Likewise, with the vehicle, I have room in my rig for 6 people plus supplies. So if, while my wife and I are on the way down to my daughter's school to pick her and some of her closest friends (who've called me daddy for 15 or more years) up on the way to the cabin, some LEO again decides that I need to take him and his girlfriend and her mom 15 miles out of town in the other direction because I have the room, I am afraid a confrontation is inevitable at that point. It has to be "not unless I say so", or else what's the point of even trying? I am more than willing to share some of my hard earned and planned for resources, depending on the situation. I share a lot of my excesses (and a few of my necessities sometimes). I don't mind going out of my way to help others I think need and deserve help. I would hope that if I got in a pinch, there are folks out there who would do likewise for me, if I asked nicely. I guess if I get really desperate, I might try to take something from someone else, but likely if they have it and I don't, they are probably better prepared at protecting it than I am at taking it from them. I expect that.

Trying to legislate survival during crisis is like telling a fire to quit burning.