Hi ame,
good to see a fellow kiwi on the forum. I share your issues with sourcing the tid-bits for the kit, and I really haven't found a source for the potassium permanganate...did you source yours in NZ?

Like everyone, I guess..we probably have had most of the commercial kits and I also have recently purchased an ETS, and use these to create our own personalised EDC tin. I'm not sure who mentioned in this thread but l like the idea of splitting the components into several kits, each increasing in size and/or functionality to compliment the smaller kit.

for instance, I like to carry the ETS as quick throw in my pocket for travel, MTB or non-bush type activities...as I think the concept of it providing the minimum bits to survive it perfect, as I will generally have on me already, my leatherman charge, my survival car keys (utilikey, freedom microlight, compass, thermo, and (striker/tinder retro fitted to fir inside old AAA maglite) and a windproof lighter. This give you pretty much everything to get through a rough patch.

If going a bit further the basics get supplemented with a more advanced suvivial kit, which include things like shelter, warmth better knife, food, water..and so on.

These are where I am at the moment...I'll probably change things around again as thats the fun as well...but I was starting to find myself 'carrying' probably a bit too much...and then start questioning the size and weight, and then every now and again...thinking about 'not' taking it...and thats the time you going to need it which defeats the purpose. ( have been caught out once in a potentially bad situation before by not taking my basics, not even the leatherman...so never again)

I think we all suffer from a bit of "gear creep", as we keep adding and adding...as we find stuff and think things more indepth.

From my experience, from other peoples experience in NZ...it would seem that most people rated the ability to start a fire, and perhaps have a survival blanket/bag...as the thing that would have paid a fortune for.

PS, I just managed to finally get some paracord...and finally understood the value in it :-) besides being really strong, the ability to pull the extra strands out of the core to make either one long length by time them together...or simple having another 7 peices of 50lb cord is very cool.

Have you got some of that yet?