I'd say the idea is theoretically practical, with a couple minor drawbacks.

First, it is just bulky enough that a group is only going to want to pack one of these things. If the one happens to be too small for a particular crowd, someone is going to be "left out in the cold".

Second, if the group should be somehow divided, the lucky one who is packing the shelter may be the only one to benefit from it. Thus it would be prudent for each member of an expedition to pack one. This presents obvious drawbacks, and tends to negate the advantages over a singular, semi-modular bivy bag package. Theoretically, each member of an expedition could pack their own bivy, and one member pack a botha bag big enough for the entire group to occupy. Practically, I don't want to put anything more in my pack than I will need on my own. Some items you have to, but if it is a case of redundancy such as this, I would likely pack just the bivy and chuck the botha, or else con someone else into packing it.

It looks to be a suitable survival shelter for its intended purpose.