You might also ask if these procedures are all theory, or if they've practiced them and worked out some of the bugs.

I like the radio part -- bombs are often radio-activated. Where I work, everyone is warned to NOT use their security radios if a bomb is found or suspected.

From what I've heard from people, all kinds of businesses have so-called disaster plans that appear to be created by dimwitted bureaucrats that couldn't zip their pants in the dark.

My sister works at a hospital here in western WA. Every year they have a disaster drill. Many people refer to it as "a disaster of a drill". The police, fire dept, etc, all seem to participate in each one.

Two years ago, they neglected to notify the community, and people from outside crowded in to find out what was going on and look for dead bodies. Family members of employees that lived nearby went into a panic.

This time (2 wks ago), the put it in the newspaper. They scheduled it the same day as inventory, which apparently meant that the materials supply people weren't supposed to supply anything until they finished inventory, but they were being called to bring stuff up. Asked if the need was real or for the drill, they were told to just bring it up.

They had employees as "victims". Whoever was in charge of triage forgot to show up. The doctor that was supposed to attend the victims had to do triage as well. The "dead bodies" got bored and walked away. (I hear that at the meeting afterward, the doctor was absolutely SCATHING in his opinon.)

This is a HOSPITAL, and they've done this before. I shudder to think how most schools would handle hundreds of kids in a real disaster. These are the people who panic if a kids waves around a drawing of a knife or gun. What the heck will they do in a real emergency?

Personally, I would find out if they have drills, find out when the next one is, and be there for it. See for yourself. It will probably scare the pants off you.

Sue