I was alarmed to discover recently that it is apparently a felony to carry my Leatherman Wave in my backpack if I'm picking up my kid from elementary school.<br><br>I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc., etc., but a straightforward reading of California Penal Code 626.10 yields the following:<br><br>On school grounds (K-12):<br>No locking folding knifes of ANY length.<br>No knife blade longer than 2 1/2 inches.<br><br>The Leatherman loses on both counts.<br><br>There are the obvious exceptions - if you are on school grounds and you have a tool because of your employment, for example you are an electrician and you're there to fix something it's OK, but "I just like to be prepared in case there's an earthquake" doesn't qualify.<br><br>For me, much of the value of pocket Leatherman-style tools is in the pliers, file, screwdrivers all in one handy package. I've already sent email to Leatherman's product suggestion address <mailto:mktg@leatherman.com> saying I thought there might be a market for a pocket tool that could be carried anywhere (airplanes, etc.) that didn't have any blades. I'd buy one.<br><br>Has anyone found an "airplane-approved" multi-tool that can be carried anywhere?