This afternoon, I took Mom (age 84) to see her family doctor after being hospitalized with a bout of pneumonia a week ago. She (the doctor) mentioned the strong possibility of an outbreak of bird flu here in the States (I wish I could remember her exact words—I should have taken what’s-his-name’s memory course) and that a drug named Tamiflu helps one survive this flu once symptoms appear. She further said some countries have ordered enough of this drug from Roche Pharmaceuticals to protect most of their citizens; but that the US has ordered little. So if there is an outbreak, this stuff will be extremely hard to get in the US. The doctor gave Mom a prescription for Tamiflu to be filled NOW (just to have the drug around) and said do not worry too much about expiration dates. Tamiflu runs 80USD—your medical insurance might pick up some of the costs of this.

I would appreciate anyone with medical qualifications correcting any misstatements I may have made above and elaborating on this drug and the current prognostication on this possible pandemic.