>> was there some scenario that would justify the bulk?<<<br><br>Assume you mean the cowhide gloves. Actually, I was merely reflecting on some of my experiences, not hyothesized scenarios. I'm learning interesting things here by reading what other folks - such as yourself - are considering in the way of scenarios and how others are thinking about "being prepared" for whatever those scenarios might be. Good stuff - I hope the thread continues. I'll go back into "lurk and learn" mode...<br><br>I guess I don't consider them bulky. It's not something that I think is critical to carry; rather it is something that I have found useful many times for mundane tasks and a few times for not-so-mundane tasks. <br><br>Things get hot from energy getting dumped in them. Kinetic energy, fire, electrical current, intense sunlight, working hydraulic fluid, etc. It's amazing how hot stuff can unexpectedly get. I prefer to skip telling those first hand stories.<br><br>If not on-person, then a pair in the vehicle can be useful if for no other reason than to allow one to make an important expedient repair RIGHT NOW, and they have been useful to me in a few of those "stressful" situations as well. <br><br>Since those gloves have a little insulation, they also serve as a backup pair of cold-weather hand covers - better than nothing. <br><br>BUT the deerskin gloves will handle most potential tasks well enough in my opinion. The heavier cowhide gloves are only a suggestion based on some of my experiences.<br><br>Hmmm. You must be my evil twin (just kidding) - I've done a bit of self-taught blacksmithing as well. Hot-cutting half-track spring leaves about made me cry, even with gloves on - talk about radiant heat! <grin>. My anvil back then was a hunk of 120lbs rail. Made some neat stuff; still use the products. Got better tools now and have been talked into teaching the boys what little I know when they clear up the messes they've made in the shop over the winter. There's a nice high-carbon truck leaf spring set hidden under a bench that's been begging to be made into some forged froes, knives, and the like... after they learn a bit with some other stuff in the scrap bin.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom<br>

Edited by AyersTG (03/30/02 06:14 AM)