At the risk of sounding like a lawyer...<br><br>I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of a walking stick / hiking staff / cane. It is a wonderfully useful tool. But note what I have called it. I do not ever refer to it as a club / baton / anything else remotely suggestive of a weapon, even though it might theoretically have such an possible application. <br><br>It is imperative that if one ever happens to talk to a law enforcement officer, that it be referred to only as the former. I do not mean that one should lie or mislead; only avoid terms relating to weapons and applications as such. Keep in mind that in many jurisdictions, carrying or even possessing a billy club, sap, or any of a whole host of weapons is a felony. Do not ever, facetiously or otherwise, do anything to indicate or suggest that it is anything but a walking stick / staff / cane.<br><br>I strongly urge against carrying or possessing anything such as a cane, umbrella, or the like which hides a stabbing / cutting instrument or other weapon. It is probably a felony in most jurisdictions.<br><br>I am not a criminal lawyer (only civil lawyer licensed to practice only in my own state), but my colleagues who are criminal practicioners assure me that many of their clients incriminate / entangle themselves with stupid statements or admissions. For instance, carrying a Mag-Lite for use as a flashlight is perfectly legal; on the other hand, carrying it for use as a club may be illegal. Incidentally, never volunteer statements / information in talking to a law enforcement officer. <br><br>And one final thought. Always be cautious about what you say in writing or otherwise. It really can and will be used against you.<br><br>Qualifying remarks (AKA legal weaseling):<br>These observations land in this thread, because it happens to consider such items. They are also a pet peave of mine and I probably drive my loved ones crazy with such cautions. These thoughts are put forth only generally and precautionarily, and not intended to criticize anyone, or for that matter even directed to anyone in particular. This is not legal advice or to anyone in particular since individual cases may vary. Most law enforcement officers are fine, fair, decent, ethical, humane people. But it does not make sense to verbally criminalize your own actions flagrantly. And of course consult a criminal lawyer in your own jurisdiction for information applicable to your personal situation. Law vary enormously from one state, community, or other jurisdiction to another.<br><br>Naturally I invite any criminal lawyers or law enforcement officers to feel free to comment / criticize / correct anything in this post as deemed appropriate. <br><br>In short, guys, be careful and legal.<br><br>John