I am new to the forum but would like to say although I do not agree with some postings, I have picked up some excellent ideas off of here. I did the same with a military credit union when I went in long ago and still have the account. It is excellent for moving my funds. Any time I relocate I can transfer the funds from my local account to the CU in minutes and when I get to where I am going open a checking account there by writing a check or transfer and have a functioning local account in minutes. Also, I had an account with BofA International which is a seperate branch. I could go to any BofA branch or associate bank in about any city of the world and write a check for cash. Also, transfers were simple. I had everything but what I had on me stolen in upland Thailand. I had enough to get to Bangkok to get a money transfer and replacement passport. My trip was delayed about one day. Others in the party spent up to a week getting funds transfered from regular banking. Other banks offer the same services if you have need of it--works great for a vacation out of the country as well as an emergency.