National Banks would be recommended for accessibility issues.

I would think, with all of the deserved (and some over-reacting and power grabbing) need for protection from terrorism, and the existing FDIC program, there are extensive requirements on data security and integrity in the banking system. I highly doubt that you're account would just "disappear". Yes, it could be possible that a number of hours of banking history could disappear (it would probably be recovered anyway), but if you're like most people, you're withdrawls exceed your deposits. The bank is more likely to lose money, rather than you losing moeny. Payroll checks cannot be held, so they post immediately. If you deposit other checks, you'll want to make sure they post a few days in advance of any forseen catastrophe. Once it is on your account, you can be pretty sure that the transaction is recorded, and permanent.

If you're not convinced of this, and you still think that money could be lost, here are some suggestions:

1) Open another bank acount at a larger bank. By doing this, I can transfer any "excess" from my normal account to this bank. Yes, there may be a charge, but in the FedWire system(if used, not sure), there will be a transaction with the source and destination account numbers. This transaction will be backed up with 3 different entities (source, FedWire, destination). You also ensure that you have more banks to go and get your money from, without incurring too many charges (well, unless you're like First Union and charge $7 to talk to a teller, if they still do that...). Also, you can get wire transfers from your account, from other banks. Make sure your I.D. matches your mailing address!

2) Make sure you have online access to all of your banking accounts. This allows you to transfer money online for anywhere. Yes, your local bank wouldn't be open after a major event, but if it's predictable, or you have a regular plan, you would have done a wire transfer before hand. Internet access is available at nearly all libraries now.

3) Maybe travelers checks. They're pretty much guaranteed. However, if you're a merchant, I'm not sure how you know if they're not "stolen". i.e. user claims they're stolen, when in fact they used them. A bad thing in a disaster area, as there may not be enough resources to follow up. They also provide a CC/Debit/ATM style card that is it's own unique account number. This could be a useful way for you to have money if you're relocated like people were in New Orleans. (i.e. it's a "national" bank)

4) Horde cash in small bills. Cash is the only universally accepted form of payment in a disaster area. Save $200 in cash. More emphasis on smaller bills, than bigger ones. It's easier to give someone $4 for something that cost $3.75 and lose the $0.25, if necessary. You'll have to figure out how to keep yourself safe with all that money though.

There is no way I can think of, except by hoarding cash, to ensure a supply of money for more than 7 days in a disaster area. Most of your essential needs will be provided by relief agencies, until services are restored. Plus, if they a big problem bringing in essential supplies to some areas, is money really going to be a big deal? If you've done all the above $200 can probably get you pretty far with an average decent person. You know, the one that will actually take you to your destination, and not just drop your butt off the side of the road and leaves with your $200. That's a topic for another thread...