Most of us have probably by now heard at least something of the troubles that the victims of these latest storms have had in trying to cash checks or do banking when their banks were destroyed or at least with out power for extended period of time.

I think that something I have done for years might help during a crisis like this. I kept my account that I used as a student when I first went to college.

It’s in a teacher’s credit union that allowed student workers to have accounts along with the teachers and other university employees. It is many hours from anywhere I have lived since I left there and would not likely be struck by the same catastrophe that hit where I choose to live.

I have always on moving had new checks printed with my current address and have never had any trouble using them anywhere I went. I normally keep my emergency fund in this account anyway as well as the occasional car loan etc. and so would have something to fall back on that is physically so far removed from me that it is likely to still be there if my area gets hit. Also thanks to the speed of Internet banking I could with a few minutes to spare send anything and everything from my local bank to my credit union before the clouds of doom descended on my fair city.

Just a thought for you to bounce around and see what you think!