Great information on the Coleman fuel.

Paul R, maybe you can find a friend with a garage who would be willing to store the fuel can??

So far I have a two-burner white gas Coleman stove, the single burner white gas Coleman stove, a propane double-burner Colman stove, and a WhisperLite backpacking stove.

I just got the propane stove last spring and have been rather unimpressed with it so far. Not enough heat and much harder to regulate a simmer than I expected.

While the WhisperLite is a fine VERY COMPACT backpacking stove, it is MUCH more complicated to start. You have to put some kind of priming substance in the priming cup and light it in order to provide sufficient heat to atomize the fuel and provide a good burn. For a long time I carried a small bottle of alcohol and that worked OK, but kind of a pain. Some let a bit of liquid fuel flow into the priming cup and then light that, but it takes some practice and does generate a bit of soot on the stove. Others have suggested using fire paste.

The benefit of the one and two-burner Coleman stoves is that their special generators don't require priming, so they have MUCH easier lighting. I'm not sure if the smaller Coleman backpacking stoves have similar generators.

The other well-known characteristic with the WhisperLite is its inability to provide good simmer control. It tends to be a blowtorch or almost nothing.

The one-burner Colman stove has none of these issues, though it is defintely heavier and bigger.