Is there a "shelf life" specified for Coleman fuel (=white gas?)?
“An un-opened container of Coleman Fuel stored in a dry area with no rapid extreme changes in temperature will remain viable for five to seven years. An opened container stored in the same area will remain viable for up to two years though will be at its best if used within a year. Coleman Propane Cylinders can be stored indefinitely in a dry area. The propane fuel inside the cylinder will not break down.” Yes, Coleman Fuel and white gas are one and the same.

What do you do with it after it passes expiration?
I take stuff like that to my city’s hazmat disposal center.

Can you use it in your car?
“Coleman fuel is basically petroleum naphtha with a bit of rust inhibitor. It has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and none of the additives found in gasoline. It has a lighter molecular weight than gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel and cannot be used as a substitute for any of those fuels. The flammability of Coleman Fuel is comparable to gasoline but it cannot be used in gasoline engines. It will burn out the valves.”

Do you really feel comfortable storing a gallon of what amounts to gasoline at home indoors?
My wife will not permit a gallon can of gasoline inside the house, and I can’t say I disagree with her. She is okay with a small, 11oz MSR fuel bottle of white gas inside the house, though. If you’re going to store white gas inside, I would keep it inside MSR fuel bottles. They are much better made than a Coleman gas can and I trust the MSR bottles to not leak. After all, they’re made to be put under pressure and not leak. Of course, MSR fuel bottles aren’t cheap, but then we’re talking about gasoline inside a home. A couple of 33oz bottles is about a ½ gallon. I can’t imagine needing more than that and you could probably be quite happy with a single 33oz bottle.

If you do decide on the white-gas route, I’d go with the MSR WhisperLite. I’ve had mine for 20 years and it’s still a dependable little blast furnace.

p.s. The quoted material above is direct from Coleman.