The short answer is "different strokes for different folks." I enjoy climbing, despite (or perhaps, because of, being scared s***less on more than one occasion). On the other hand, I don't see what other folks get out of mortorcycle riding - for my taste it is far too hazardous for whatever rewards are present. The mountains are extremely beautiful, and an extremely challenging environment. It appeals to some sufficient for them to put up with the sacrifices and hazards. Same logic for boaters, cavers, or marathon runners.<br><br>For all of that, there is a change in climbing that I find disturbing. There are cases in the 50s and 60s, the "Golden Age" of Himalayan cl;imbing, of expeditions halting upon the death of one of their members and/or Sherpas. That was before the present commercialization of the standard trade routes on the major peaks. Remeber that the climbers on Everest were paying about $50,000 apiece for the trip in guide fees alone. I must admit that trudging up Everest past dead bodies on the summit ridge would take the edge off John Muir's "Climb the mountains and get their good tiding" philosophy.<br><br>Just for the record, I have never been anywhere Everest. A trip up Orizaba and an attempt on Denali are about it for me in terms of anything significantly high. I have really enjoyed poking around mountains and ranges in the Southwest that never get written up in best sellers (hopefully).