I suppose a lot of people keep accessible a gun with a loaded magazine. This probably fits into the category of urban survival.<br><br>What should be done to avoid the magazine spring taking a set (and thereby becoming an unreliable feeder) as a result of prolonged compression when the magazine is left loaded for long periods? The issue probably needs to be addressed differently as between tubular magazines and box magazines; with the category of box magazines possibly being further divided into detachable and integral magazines.<br><br>I have never seen this question answered authoritatively. The conventional wisdom seems to be that one should rotate the loaded condition among different detachable magazines. The length of time a magazine should be left loaded appears to vary enormously from user to user. I personally get tired of rotating magazines. And shooting up magazines loaded with expensive defense ammunition during regular practice as method of rotating magazines is more extravagant than this non-governmentally-funded shooter can tolerate. <br><br>In view of the wonderful variety of experience and expertise in this forum, I'm hoping for a solution.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John