First, Fitz.. for the record: Your avatar is the best looking Shepherd I've seen in a long time. And I've seen a lot of Sieger and Siegren class dogs! I love the longer-coated variants!

I've worked Schutzhund, trained dogs for a police department, and been owned by German Shepherds. I've seen too many instances of irresponsible or inattentive owners allowing dominant dogs too close to each other. And, frankly, I've made my share of mistakes in classes and on the street. Here's what I think, FWIW:

1) Pepper Spray and Sticks can be useful, as can a cannon. It is often a matter of timing. If the attack is "joined" it often is very difficult to break up even with maximum brutality on the part of the handler.

2) The best intervention is an early intervention. If I saw another dog moving within 20-30 feet and eyeing my dog, I'd move (heel my dog) away at an angle and keep moving. I'd keep my dog from making eye contact with the loose dog (YES, you can train this!) ALMOST always the dog-on-dog attack is preceded by signaling between the dogs, and this suggestion often breaks that up in time.

3) I'd have a walking stick. Actually, the one I carry is a shooter's monopod which telescopes out to 6ft. What has worked well for me is to take a 1/2 step between the dogs (assuming the oncoming dog is 10-15 feet away) and EXTEND THE STICK AND POINT IT DIRECTLY AT HIM/HER and repeating in a loud deep voice NO. Brandishing it as a club absolutely as a last resort, since it can trigger an aggressive or defensive attack too. I can tell you that I've had and worked dogs who (if I "attacked" the other dog) would absolutely join my attack. The idea is that you and your stick create separation and distration. Works pretty well. Similarly for pepper spray: in my experience if they're joined in battle, the battle likely will continue spray or not! Your chances improve if you spray at the maximum distance effective, and follow with retreat (at an angle).

4) How to break up a fight in progress... opinions vary. This is what the best Schutzhund trainer I've ever met teaches: a) both owners grab the hind legs of their dogs, back off and spin away. Hind legs rarely bite. b)once distance is established, everyone has to keep moving away. The dogs will remember each other and will hold a grudge. Training them not to do so is possible, but tricky. If there aren't two handlers ready/willing to do this (e.g. the scenario in this thread)... stay out of it.

As for the opinion that fighting dogs usually settle the problem and withdraw with minimal injury if people let them: My opinion differs. If they were really fighting.. if they meant business and weren't just playground-bullying, one or both are going to the Vet. Emergency hospital. Winner or looser.

Finally (MAN.. I'm ususually wordy today), the opinions we see here from time to time about OUR ability to fight a large attacking dog differ from my experience. I've been the guy in the padded suit, knowing what's coming, and having done that before many times.. and I wouldn't give you odds on my chances unarmed and unpadded against any of the large working breeds used for this kind of work. I might (probably would) survive, but I'll have broken bones and other serious injuries. A knife, gun or club would not prevent serious injury if I waited until the dog hit me. It might, if I could use the weapon to prevent the attack. But if that dog means business and hits you, expect to go down and expect pain/shock/puncture/and fracture at the point of impact.

....having said all that, I'm going to the dog park to walk my Alligator.