I walk a lot and I've been seriously attacked twice, with numerous close calls. I've managed to not get bitten yet. Sorry about your dog and hand.

You did excellent. Don't panic. Standing still works quite well. Most of the time the dogs are being territorial and are just trying to scare you off. And they like to circle around and attack your legs, hopefully to bring you down on the ground.

Doggie treats work really well. Most of them go hyper for a handful of milkbones. Every time you walk by, toss half a dozen by them. Eventually they associate you with treats. I don't care if the neighbor says not to feed them.

Shove a mountain bike in its face. The poor boxer didn't know what to do. It kept circling and attacking but never actually biting my Trek ZX's aluminum. I saw it coming and had time to dismount and use the bike as a shield. It's owner just kept yelling at it.

Fight it. Run right at it and don't back down while tossing rocks. It will either engage and bite (which is dangerous for a dog) or it will back down. Some kind of doberman mix did this. Its owner and I had a serious talk later that day.

Make sure any spray has OC in it. The pepper stuff will irritate their nose and eyes. Fox River sells some or check out LA Police Gear. I've never used it but it's supposed to work.

Wear dog tags. If you do get seriously injured, the medics will patch you up.

Carry a knife. I like Al-Mar's SERE 2k or Doug's.