Pepper Spray. I ALWAYS have a can on me, no matter what the local laws.

I was at a school playground about a year or so ago and a dog (German Shephard/Lab Mix it looked like) came up out of nowhere and headed straight for my wife, and 14 month old daughter. It was barking furiously, snarling, teeth bared and lunging forward. The kids were screaming, my wife was screaming, and I was yelling and waving my arms, but the dog would not back down and started to move forward. I got between wife and kid, my son ran into the van, and I sprayed the *&^*&^ing dog with a whole can of pepper spray, right in the eyes and nose I would have shot it too, if I had my gun in the car, but then again we were on school grounds and I imagined that it would have been a Big Issue.

The dog was effectively blind except for sensing light and shadow and snapping at any motion at this point, so my wife and kids got into the van while I looked around for a large stick to club the damn thing to death. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a big stick, but I did try to run it down with the van as we left, but it was in between some cars by that time. I called the school Monday to let them know about the vicious dog on the grounds and they said that they knew about it, but they didn't want to do anything about it - they said when the dog comes, the teachers tell the kids to run away. Duh.

Anyway, pepper spray made a good stop, I HIGHLY reccomend that people carry some AT ALL TIMES. The only time this does not apply is flying, even in checked luggage (even though it's allowed) because a burst pepper spray canister would make the cabin very unconforatble.

I'd suggest you get a lawyer, and get that Ridgeback put down. that's a dangerous animal and should not be out in the public. I have no tolerance for dangerous animals of any kind.