I am a little sister to a big sister, as well as a big sister to a little brother.

I believe that women are just as likely and capable to pull a trigger without hesitation as men. I think that most of them just don't know what they'd do, and would rather not fathom it, until it happens to them.

Sitting comfortably in my home, with no danger in sight, even I worry about the moral consequences if I shot and killed someone. But there was a time when a (presumably drunk) young male stranger tried to forcibly enter my dorm room at college, and I brandished the only weapon I had (my EDC knife) while yelling and screaming for attention after only the slightest hesitation. What caused that hesitation? It wasn't concern of the ramifications of my soul if I stabbed the guy in self defense, it was plain FEAR that this was my only time to react and was I strong and fast enough?

Looking back on it, I feel a little bad that I was so quick to maim another human being (even though I had the "Don't Mess With Me" reputation among my friends), especially since he "sobered up" real fast when he got my reaction, and I was unhurt. But during the actual situation, and others afterward, my capacity for that shame went out the window. I don't know how different I am from other women, but I believe we are all capable of a similar response.

I think that when a peacable woman can recognize that capacity in herself, and let it switch on freely when needed, the better she is at protecting herself and others.