Chances are if you spray them with Fox 40, hit them with a club, or shoot them with rubber bullets you are going to get sued either way. But, If someone can't handle shooting someone with regular slugs/buckshot then the best alternative would be L-T-L rounds, it would make it a lot easier mentally to shoot someone and could be used effectively at a distance (If I was a women I would rather keep four guys 30 feet away from me, then have them be at arms reach trying to use pepper spray or hit them). It would also be just as effective, if not more effective then pepper spray (which has also killed people, so it isn't 100% L-T-L either). Plus it still has the intimidation effect of a shotgun even if you don't fire a single shot.

BTW, L-T-L wern't just developed for police use, they have been around for a long time for home defense. Years ago it was common to keep a home defense shotgun loaded with salt shot with the thought that it wouldn't kill, but it would stop the threat by causing them extreme pain.