Yep, that's why earlier in my post I stated that if I didn't have a reliable water supply, I wouldn't eat. All food consumed requires water to digest, so better to just minimize altogether than to be selective. I reckon my focus is more on wilderness survival, in places where I am pretty sure I can find the water I need, so the pemmican balls just make the most sense because they meet more of my criteria than any other food (energy to weight, shelf life, easy to make, historical success rate). I would reckon, as you put it, that urban environments do have a somewhat reversed priority. I can certainly say that here in Baghdad I am far more concerned about where my next drink of water comes from than what is there to eat on.

That said, I would reiterate the point I was making was that the best way I can think to store meat for survival food is the way the pre-industrial age nomads of North America did it, which was larded meat, or more preferably Pemmican. Until they can make a portable gadget that will keep fresh food fresh and sterile, this is about as good as it gets.