Yes I have several of the new and improved "SAFE" plastic jugs with the California approved nozzles and I am not impressed. In the very narrow spectrum of what they tested these cans to do they must work some what but for the everyday use around a farm or refueling equipment they are less than desirable.
The California Air Resources Board at its September 23, 1999 adopted new emission and spill –control regulations for portable containers, commonly known as "gas cans," and gas can spouts. The regulations apply to new gas cans and spouts sold in California after January 1, 2001. This insanity or at least the poorly engineered results of this ruling has spread to much of the rest of the country. This is because of the size of the California market has induced the manufacturers to tool up their products to pass the new California laws.
I know they did this to keep people from spilling fuel while using the cans but I wonder how well it is working?? I know for me I went from hardly ever spilling or splashing fuel and keeping a very clean operation too just being happy if it only gurgles and splashes a little bit. Now I will readily admit that I have not tried all the cans available on the market but the 4-5 different manufactures cans I have tried are each as useless as the other. You can not legislate away stupidity or carelessness you can only make things more difficult for everyone else. Those who actually used their cans more than once or twice a year could probably with a little thought not spill much fuel to start with and everyone else is going to make a pigs ear of it anyway so why inconvenience the rest of us?