Two classic responses to this classic question: what exactly do you perceive putting holes into and why? Combination arms are always more expensive and are restricted to a single round in each barrel. The .30-06 is a very versatile round, and also one that takes training to use. Within the parameters of your criteria the various Browning and Winchester reproductions of the 1895 lever action will work. personally, I would stop worrying about cartridge availability. If you are going to drag 10 odd pounds of firearm around it makes no sense not to have 5+ boxes of ammunition for it on hand. Ask a WW2 vet who lugged an M1 Garand how many rounds he used daily with people shooting back at him. Gunfights simply are not all day affairs with brass piling around your ankles like a B17 waist gunner and if you can't down a large game animal in 2 rounds you will be cooking snails anyway.This opens up a whole new world of candidates. A superb firearm for self defense and hunting in abysmal conditions is the british SMLE. You have 10 rounds of a relatively mild cartridge that can be loaded to handle the biggest canadian moose and bear- which it does. The thing was built to survive the filth of trench warfare in WW1 and most importantly, a nice specimen may be had for pocket change compared to a brand new rifle. This saves a whole pile of money for all that other stuff I hope your assembling also. Sleeping bags and rainponchos are never as exciting as a knife or sidearm, but I'd rather have them anyday over my own coastal artillary battery.