Yes. In the Criminal Court I was able to get the Court to compel the payment of $50,000.00 to her in mandatory restitution as a condition of probation. That covered her medical expenses, and 6 months of her wage loss [she was permanently disabled]. He could not reasonably have been expected to pay more from his pocket or pension, because as a result of this incident he was discharged from the Army. The criminal system cannot, with rare exceptions, trigger insurance coverage.

But to the thrust of your question, if I understand correctly, what is the scope of potential liability for governmental entities and authorities?

Regreatably, there is little. This has been the hallmark of my carreer: going after government. There is absolutely no such thing as as a viable cause of action against individual state officials in the majority of states, the exceptions being California and New York in the past, but no more under current law.

The only viable causes of action are when a govenmental officail acts outside the scope of their authority, or in the lingo, ultra vires. There has never been, that I know of, an ultra vires liabily case in Texas. There is a New York case that arose from prosecutorial misconduct, but I think it was reversed on appeal.

Soveriegn immunitiy paints with a very, very, broad brush.