Hi all

Firstly I'd like to say that this would have to be one of the most interesting threads Ive read here.
Im usually a spectator in these forums for 2 reasons, firstly I have a very pitiful internet connection that doesn't allow me to do much, secondly I dont usually have much time, so I end up quickly scanning threads of interest but not much time to put back.
Down here at the bottom of Australia we dont usually get the full story in the media, and this is the first place I thought to turn to find out some of what is really going on.
I have to say that we are watching things in total amazement.
But I also have to admit a lot of ignorance on my part, because I dont really know a lot about the US.
I really dont understand exactly how your disaster response is supposed to work, or who has the responsibility to cover any particular aspect of a disaster that may happen.
But I do have 1 point that might be worth discussion from a cyclone (Aust. version of a Hurricane) that happen here.

When Cyclone 'Tracey' hit Darwin on Chistmas Eve. Darwin being the Capital City of the Northern Teritory. The Federal Government sent in the Army and gave a General total control.(not sure of exact rank so dont pull me up on details) Darwin is in a remote area of Australia, and a hard area to provide support.
The mandate given to the General was its your operation, coordinate everything. So in goes the Army and starts the rescue effort and provides total support and coordination across all military and civil authorities, until they could take over for them selves.
I cant give exact details of how this worked and what did exactly happen.
I am also the first to admit that I dont know if something like this would work in the US. It does seem logical to me that countries like the US, and Australia etc should have a response system inplace to put into action reguardless of the disaster or location or which of its citizens where involved.

One of my other thoughts in all this points back to the present government in Australia. I really dont have the confidence that I would be in any better situation if a disaster hit here now, because a lot has changed since Cyclone Tracey hit 30 years ago, hence I have been slowly trying to make some preparations for myself.
So I would like to also thank everyone for their posts on numerous threads I have read.
I started by thinking that this site had excellent info, them when I started reading these forums I realised that one of its biggest assets was the info and experience expressed here.

Thanks Wayne