Quote:
A society free of firearms might have been a great idea

I don't agree with that at all. At one time, we were a "society free of firearms." If you were small, old, female, etc. you pretty much did what the bigger or more numerous told you to do - or else. The gun changed that. It allowed the weak to stand up to the strong.

I fully understand people being angered by some of the evil being committed with guns, as I was, but that's the fault of the people committing the act, not the tool they choose to use. I heard about someone shooting at rescue personnel and just making a difficult and dangerous situation even worse. This type of person doesn't deserve anyone's respect or even mercy. They should be removed from the situation at once - quite likely by a police officer's rifle.

I, like many, was very disappointed to see the looting and other crap going on down there, but that was more a lack of what some would call personal or social responsibility than anything else. I don't mean the person taking food and water and such, that's absolutely understandable in a situation like this, but someone stealing jewelry or a television set has to be looked at in a different light. That person is just taking advantage of a bad situation for his own greed. That energy could have been put to better use in helping others. But, like it was said before, a situation like this brings out the best in people and the worst in people - it just depends on the person.