Let's look at the big picture. Regardless of why they were stranded, these are American citizens. I hear a lot of people complaining about race, etc. Honestly, I think what we're seeing is a total incompetence on the part of local and perhaps federal government. As a white fellow from a middle-class suburban neighoborhood, I'm telling you we would be SOL if the SHTF around here.

I don't think it has anything to do with race, but rather the inability for local government to put the necessary forces into action in a timely manner. No one moves until the governor makes that call and she didn't. And the governor probably waits on local government, say a loud mouth mayor, and he didn't call. By the time they realized how deep in [censored] they were, it was too late. Knowing everything they did about their city and state and how volunerable it was, they should have reacted faster. They should have asked for federal assitance to evacuate the city. And if they did, then shame on the federal gov't. President Bush declared a state of emergency on Sunday, but all that does is permit funds and resources to be given. The governor needs to ask for it in order for the resources to go into motion.

One fella on here wrote about his ex-wife thinking he was cooky about keeping a gun, knife and light by his bed. And now, she's rethinking her position. This week, my wife and I will review my emergency plan and equipment, items that until now she really hasn't been exposed to.

One last note: God bless the Second Amendment. If people don't get it now, they never will. It's not the people, it's the circumstance. If you think for one minute that the middle-class white family down the street won't cut your throat for a bag of ice, you're kidding yourself. We are all physically capable of such actions, which means it's always a possibility.

We face the possibility of a terrorist attack every day and watching NO this week, I have zero confidence in government to assit in a timely manner. And quite frankly, to some extent, it's unfair to expect them at your door in 24 hours. If it takes a week to get federal assistance, I'm glad to wrap my arms around my "arms".