I was a high school student in southwest Alabama in 1969 when Camille hit. As I watched Katrina on the Weather channel it was deja vu for me. You will hear this storm compared to Camille, but there is one big difference. In 1969 there was not near as much development on the Mississippi coast.

I was living near Savanah when Hugo hit Charleston, been closer than I wanted to be to several more storms and spent five years in Iowa where I learned a little about snow storms too.

Anyway, a few important things I have learned over the years are as follows:

1. Fill up the car and get gas for generators/chain saw when you first hear about the storm. If you wait until people start leaving you will face long gas lines and if you wait until after the storm you will not be able to get gas. If you are lucky and the storm does not hit, it is no loss. You can still use the gas.

2. When local officials say evacuate, be the first one on the road. If you live near water in a hurricane, do not wait to at least get out of low areas.

3. Keep food, flash lights and other basic supplies in the house all of the time. Check supplies early and restock before the rush. Keep some cash on hand. (In short, expect to have to live with what you have for a couple of weeks.)

4. If you plan on staying put fill up the bath tub, pots and pans with water before the storm hits. You will probably need it.

5. Have a good radio. After a storm you probably will be out of electricity for some period of time. A portable radio is your best bet to keep up with events. Do not count on phones, cell phones, TV or internet.

6. A few years back I had a pine tree on top of my house which did about $10 K in damages. ( no one got hurt) You can rebuild or repair. There is nothing in your home that is more valuable than your family.

7. Be careful after the storm. You have not begun to hear about it yet, but if this one is like the other ones I have been around the emergency rooms will soon begin to see a flood of chain saw, ax, broken limb, nail pucture and other assorted accidents.