Quote:
I would be quite surprised if you had any ill effects unless you have a medical condition for which you require a special diet. I don't know what you usually eat but I eat mildly healthy meals usually (no excess sugar, carbs, sodium, fat or cholesterol) and based on the igedients list on my Mainstay rations I'd say they are about the healthiest thing I eat. Granted they are designed for survival and specifically short term survival, which is why they contain little fiber and almost no protein. I have never gone for more than a few days on Mainstay and water alone, but I think with a protein supplement like whey and a good source of fiber like spinach to keep the plumbing functioning well (a diet of mainstay and water makes for a lot fewer BMs than a normal diet), I could probably go a lot longer. Don't know that I'm gonna try it but if I did you fine folks would be the first to know.

Mainstay makes a special version with lots of protein, but it is not sold as survival food, because you have to have more water to eat it.

It is sold for relef programs...
You first ship in the regular Mainstay for the first week or so, untill you can insure a stedy water supply, then you send in the high protein Mainstay for the months that follow...It is expecially important to get childred on the High protein stuff as soon as possible, because the need a LOT more than an adult to avoid long term developmental problems.