Bill,<br><br>It sounds like you've gotten a couple of really nice knives. I think you'll like using a fixed blade sheath knife. They're unbeatable for really demanding jobs due to their simplicity, strength, & total security against accidental closure or mechanical failure. :-) <br><br>By the way, are fixed blade knives really that unfamiliar to you? Just look around your kitchen. :-)<br><br>I'm inclined to agree with Presumed that if your knife is nearly swallowed by the sheath, it is unlikely to fall out. Of course, I don't know what kind of acrobatics you plan to do while wearing it. You may be a much more active scouter than I have seen before.<br><br>Good luck with your son's scouting use of a sheath knife. You may want to photocopy generously the entire page out of the handbook on the policy for both of you to carry. A photocopy of what is obviously the handbook is mandatory authority on this issue. Make sure your son is fluent on the policy, the rationale, and the argument in case he is challenged.<br><br>How long is the handle on the boy's knife?<br><br>Best scouting wishes,<br><br>John