Let's re-examine our terminology. No offense to anyone, we think in a pretty binary frame of mind here: short term, and long term. What do these mean? The lack of agreed definition and the narrowness of scope limits our thinking. Since some react to "long term" the way some people react to "heresy", so let's toss in a new word: "mid term".

I'll toss out my terms and thier meanings, and what kind of kit IMO is for it:

--Immediate term: <24hours, EDC and the ever popular PSK
--Short term: 5 days, with a BOB. BOB should get through 48 hours by himself, 3-5 days if you can get water from outside, even if you have to make potable yourself.
--Mid term: 5 to 30 days. BOB gets you to a location where you can hole up for that time, or you shelter in place. Most (99.9%) of us need external support.
--Long term: 30 to 365 days: Unless you are a very devote Mormon, super paranoid or Amish, you need external support, a temp job, temp housing, et al.
--TEOTWAWKI: 366+ days. If situation isn't stable in a year, the world won't go back normal. Period. The Black Death, the Great Depression, two World Wars, the ice ages, these are 366+ day problems that changed everyone and everything they touched. You have to adapt, or die, becuase there is no external support left at that point.

So I guess what I'm in support of is a Mid Term forum, with LT discussions allowed but rare. Topics of common interest would be: fuel storage, water storage, how to patch a tire (rather than simply replace it or stuff it with fixaflat- have no idea) or improvise other automotive parts, that kind of thing.