>Are you using the phone cards as long distance cards for a >landline phone? I didn't quite understand that part.

Yes indeed. I don't have a cell phone. I have found that after an earthquake, or just busy phone times (Mothers day, etc) one phone service, such as AT&T may be busy, while another like MCI gets me through. It just provides more options to get through during times of system overload.

The cards can be purchased at places like Costco, Sam’s Club, etc. The rates are down to 2.8 cents per minute. The cards can have more minutes added via phone line and your credit card. I may let my AT&T card lapse since they started adding a "re-charge fee" (what a rip-off). I even dropped long distance service on my home phone. This alone has saved me at least $5 in monthly fees and taxes. All long distance goes on the phone cards for me.

If you don't want to bother with the cards you can get the access codes for the different long distance services (this was my old secret before getting the calling cards to save money). These are numbers that you can dial on any phone to access different long distance services.

Dial the access code then 0+ phone number to use your own local phone card.
Dial the access code then 1+ phone number to charge to the phone you are using.

Some access codes:
Allnet -10444
American Network/Savenet - 10311
American PTT - 10278
American Telephone Exchange - 10050
Amptelco Systems - 10267
AT&T - 10288
Com Systems - 10266
Comex/Chinamerica - 10788
CP National - 10276
Escondido Telephone Co. - 10441
Express Tel- 10700
GTE Sprint -10777
ITT .-10488
MCI - 10222
Republic Telecom -10001
SBS - 10888
Standard Information Services - 10747
TDX Systems - 10223
Telesphere Network -. 10555
TMC Long Distance - 10007
U.S. Telecom - 10333
Western Union- 10220

Many of the long distance companies also have "800" access numbers that can be used in the same way.

I don't even bother to carry the calling cards anymore (too much weight?). I use PrintShop to print up business cards on card stock or any suitable heavy paper. I get 10 cards to a sheet of paper. I use a paper cutter to cut out the cards for a professional result. I use Rubber Maid clear shelving paper for a low cost laminate. On each card I have the calling card numbers, all emergency and family phone numbers as well as important e-mail addresses are on the cards. There are times that the phone lines may be down, but the WEB is up. I also keep the passwords to my home e-mail addresses on the card. This allows me to check my home e-mail from any functioning computer on the net.

I keep one of these cards in my wallet, and another goes in my wife’s wallet. One card each in each of our personal preparedness kits (my wife’s at her work, and the kids in their kits at school). I update the cards annually or as needed.

Hope this helps. TR