Well, I just passed my Technician Class license exam tonight. I wanted to prepare a little bit more, but I found out the nearest testing group gives the exams on the third Thursday of each month and I didn't want to wait another whole month to take the test. I only got one wrong!

The VE's were so impressed, they asked me if I wanted to take the General Class exam the same day, but I declined because I think I really need to bone up on antenna theory and some of the other subjects that seem to come up in that question pool.

Anyway, I don't actually own a radio yet, and I don't even know any other operators. I'm going to go to the local club meeting (SJRA) next week, but I was wondering if any ETS members out there have any opinions on mobile/portable HA transceivers for wilderness use. I plan on using my radio (when I get it) mostly for vehicle mounted usage, so I'm not too concerned about a hand-held radio right now, but I'd be interested in opinions of hand-helds, as well. So far, the Yaesu 817 and 857 units look really nice, if a bit pricey.

Next week, I should get my call sign. It feels pretty cool to have a "real" radio license in addition to my GMRS license!

Also, are there are any reasons why a handheld amateur set would be a better choice for survival than a GMRS radio?