I live in what you could call a third world country, a couple of months ago I was tempted to change my trusty Mini-Maglites for Surefires, but the batteries are impossible to get here. You can only find them at some specialized shops downtown, since I work outdoors a lot in very remote areas that doesn't work for me.

I modified a Mini-Mag to LEDs and added a Petzl Tikka Plus and AAA Mini-Mag. Even the smallest shops in the most desserted Patagonian villages have some AA and AAA batteries (mainly used for radios).

For cellphones, the best solution I've found is a charger that has a lever which you cranck to get power. It isn't very efficient since you have to turn the lever for a while until you can have enugh power for a short conversation, but it will do in an emergency. I don't relly on my cellphone that much, though, since the damned thing has an uncanny abillity to loose the signal when I need it the most. Radios and satellite phones are the way to go.

Is there any good flashlight like Surefires or Inovas that uses regular AA or AAA batteries?