Quote:
Note: lithium AA's (made by Fuji, I believe) are available for $1.00 each (qty 20) from www.batterystation.com . They have been tested extensively at CPF and their characteristics are a bit different than the much more expensive Energizer L91 cells. See CPF for details but my interpretation is that they're not -quite- as good as the Energizers, but their advantage over alkaline is very similar. They may offer lithium AAA's sometime but right now they don't.

Yes, the main issue is they start out at about 1.9V vs 1.7V of the Energizer lithiums, or 1.5V of alkalines vs 1.2V of NiMH. So, if your device is sensitive to voltage, or you are using several cells in series beware.

They have also been reported to have a odd little voltage sag during the first part of their life. Other than being a bit odd, this shouldn't cause problems other than to confuse devices that try to predict battery life -- although most of these devices don't know about lithiums anyways (although my Garmin GPSes do).

All in all it is nice to see an alternative, but make sure you understand the compatibility issues.

-john