I agree that it is disappointing to see the trend towards built in rechargable batteries.

I try pretty hard to limit the different types of batteries in my kit. However, I haven't been able to get it down to one or even two types, but two types dominate:

123A cells to meet most of my lighting needs. I EDC a SF E2e (2x123A for 60 lumens @ 1hr) and a SF L1 (1x123A for 15 lumens @ 1hr or ~2 lumens @ ~50 hrs). These two lights provide me with three useful light levels from very low light, to medium task lighting, to fairly powerful lighting. They provide the capability of very long runtime or bright light as needed. In addition, in my kit, I carry a 3 level, 1W LED headlamp.

Then of course are the AA devices. GPS (2xAA), backup batteries for my Yaesu VX-5R which uses a propriatary lithium ion battery pack (it does not provide full capacity with the AA battery pack), BC246T scanner which thankfully uses AA batteries and a Infinity Ultra with red LED. Obviously the GPS and the radios can eat batteries. With the exception of the NiMH I keep installed in the scanner, I carry only lithium AA batteries for long storage life, bettery performance and lower weight.

I have a single AAA device in my kit. I carry an iAudio 5 combo MP3 player / FM radio. I specifically purchased this unit instead of the iAudio U2 which is almost the same except has a built in battery. I suppose I could have found a AA radio or even an AA MP3/FM combo, but I wanted a very small device that did not have a built in rechargable battery. I normally operate this guy on NiMH rechargables day to day, but carry a few lithium AAA batteries as spares.

The oddball is a pair of Glo-Toob FX marker lights in my kit for my dog and I. These use a single 12v 23A battery. I'm not thrilled about that, but these lights are small, waterproof and pretty much bombproof and the batteries are small so you don't notice a couple of spares.

So, in general, I have two primary type of cells - 123A and AA. I'll accept some AAA devices if size dictates, but prefer AA or 123A.

I consider built in rechargables a strict no-no since you can't reload in the field. N cells - no. J cells - no. AAAA cells - no.

Other than that, it pretty much has to be something I simply can't get the needed function.

I don't really like C and D cells, but mostly because they don't work well in high drain situations. Seems like it kind of defeats the point of having all that size and weight.. If I really need a D size, I'll use an AA to D adapter.

I'm really fond of lithium batteries for longer storage capability, better performance, better cold weather performance and weight savings. You can get them in all the sizes I prefer: 123A, AA and AAA.

I also am fond of NiMH batteries for high use devices and of course they come in AA and AAA sizes.

So, I guess you can put me in the AA or 123A or AAA or NO WAY catagory! :-)

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/17/05 07:06 AM)